I survived HELLP Syndrome in December of 2007. You can read my story here. To learn more about HELLP and Preeclampsia, please go here. Also, please understand that any medical information shared in my blog is only for the purpose of my self-expression and general awareness about HELLP. I am not a medical doctor, and you should always talk to your doctor rather than relying on information from this very amateur blog. ;)

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Numbers Game

As a very right-brained person, I have been avoiding, if not completely ignoring, numbers my entire life. They make my head spin. I can't even play card games. Anyway, my HELLP experience caused me to pay attention to numbers and I've overcompensated by obsessing some about them. I can almost see how people take comfort numbers. They're precise. You can measure them and make deductions based on them. Still not my thing, but I get it. So here are the numbers that fly through my head way more often than they should:

  • 17: The week that I had my first high-ish bp reading in my HELLP pregnancy. That's in 9 weeks for me, so I'm feeling anxious about that particular week. 
  • 130/90: If you have one high blood pressure reading (130/90) prior to 35 weeks gestation, you have a 33% chance of developing preeclampsia in that pregnancy. So far, my highest recorded bp has been 126/85. 
  • 13: At 13 weeks, the risk of miscarriage decreases. In my first pregnancy I had a healthy awareness of that possibility, but my new traumatized self is much more aware of that risk. 5 weeks to go.
  • 8: I'm running 2 miles twice a week (or more) and aiming for 8 minute miles. This week, I finished 2 miles in 15:36 and 15:49. Not bad for someone who has never had one ounce of interest in competitive running! Oh, and I work out 5-6 days a week, including weight training, cardio and flexibility work. Regular physical activity during the first 20 weeks of pregnancy reduced pre-e risk by 35-45% compared to sedentary.
  • 60: The number of grams of protein a pregnant woman should consume. I really struggled a ton and fell short with my vegetarian diet in my first pregnancy, and I often wonder how much that contributed to the "perfect storm" that led to my illness. It's hard for me still, and I am eating some meat to try to help, but I just have a really hard time with ethical, philosophical and environmental issues related to eating animals. I add nuts, chia seeds, quinoa and other sneaky protein sources into a lot of my food but that gets a little old. I've been trying to eat a hard-boiled egg every day, but that often makes me gag and I have to force it down. They say protein powder isn't recognized by your system, but I often supplement at bedtime with some vanilla almond milk with whey protein powder in order to get my number for the day up. I have been eating more cheese than usual and my breakfast cereal has about 10g which is pretty good. I eat high protein bread (5g per slice) and lots of PB. Any other ideas?
My appointment with OB #2 is tomorrow. Wish me luck!!
Amy

2 comments:

  1. Good luck tomorrow! I never knew that stat about the sedentary risk... that is SO good to know. Gives me hope, since I now workout 5-6 days a week, compared with big fat ZERO before!

    ReplyDelete