I survived HELLP Syndrome in December of 2007. You can read my story here. To learn more about HELLP and Preeclampsia, please go here. Also, please understand that any medical information shared in my blog is only for the purpose of my self-expression and general awareness about HELLP. I am not a medical doctor, and you should always talk to your doctor rather than relying on information from this very amateur blog. ;)

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Trying Not to Get Down

I existed on a happy cloud of initial joy and early nausea for about 2 days before being derailed by the news that my husband's best friend, like a brother to us, has cancer. The juxtaposition of the two stories, the life and death feeling of it all, is trying hard to drag me down. On top of that, I am spending every free second trying to research OBs in Chicago who are VBAC-friendly, stellar C-section surgeons, and affiliated with a hospital with a great NICU (just in case).  My anxiety is building as my "high risk" designation flies over my head like a giant banner.

During my research during G's nap this afternoon, I fell into the forums on the Preeclampsia Foundation's site. Don't ask me why I started reading a thread about low milk production following HELLP. Reading some of those posts just brought it all back. I process feelings about certain parts of my experience, but there's always something left undone, waiting to be noticed, remembered. Like how Brian came into the recovery room just as I was regaining consciousness and tried his best to pump milk from my nearly alive body. It just sucks to have had HELLP. It sucks forever. No matter how positive I try to be, how much therapy I do, how much acupuncture or other healing I seek, I just can't stop hating my experience with HELLP. Yes, I have a healthy child, and I realize I'm one of the lucky, lucky ones. But I still struggle with letting go of my anger.

This post is certainly not in the vein of being positive. Since I started tapping this out earlier this afternoon, I found an OB practice that I'm actually pretty excited about making an appointment with. So that's hopeful.

1 comment:

  1. I love you so much, honey. And I'm so filled with excitement and elation and awe that we're going to have another baby. I trust the strength of your heart and your mind and your spirit. And I love our family. <3

    ReplyDelete