I survived HELLP Syndrome in December of 2007. You can read my story here. To learn more about HELLP and Preeclampsia, please go here. Also, please understand that any medical information shared in my blog is only for the purpose of my self-expression and general awareness about HELLP. I am not a medical doctor, and you should always talk to your doctor rather than relying on information from this very amateur blog. ;)

Monday, September 27, 2010

What's Different So Far (at 7 weeks)

After a pregnancy that ended in HELLP syndrome, I can't help but be aware of everything that is different this time around. It helps me stay hopeful that I might not get sick this time. That I might have a completely healthy pregnancy.

So here's what is different so far (not that any of it is an indication of anything):
  • Nausea is much milder and less frequent. Good appetite.
  • Lots of energy. Barely tired.
  • Even better fitness level. 
  • Eating more protein. (Yes, even a bit of meat.)
  • Better stress coping tools, and less stress.
  • Daily low dose aspirin started 2 years ago at the recommendation of our MFM.
  • Extra Vitamin D, folic acid, calcium, and magnesium taken prior to and during pregnancy.
  • Tea at least several times a week with dandelion root (for blood pressure) and red raspberry leaf (for uterine health).
  • Mindfulness and meditation on a regular basis.
I feel really, really great. I don't remember ever feeling this great in my HELLP pregnancy. My nausea is mild and sporadic, really nothing to complain about. I remember thinking "I guess you just feel like crap when you're pregnant." I don't even feel tired. I nearly keep forgetting that I'm pregnant! (Knock on wood...)

I was in good shape when I got pregnant the first time around, working out 7 days a week most weeks. But I have been even more fit recently, despite working out less often. So I think I started this pregnancy off healthier even though I'm 3 and a half years older. One of my best friends and her husband got me into a different mindset with my workouts. They're into Crossfit, which encourages bursts of intense exercise that really push your limits. I've been doing my own modified version of these workouts 2-3 times a week on my own at the Y, in addition to my weekly strength training class.  I know some people are fearful about pregnant women working out intensely, if at all, but I very much believe that my level of physical fitness and my commitment to working out throughout my first pregnancy is what helped me stave off HELLP until the very end of pregnancy since my blood pressure first starting getting highish early in my second trimester. (Many women get sick enough that they have to deliver just past halfway through their pregnancies.) Today I ran 2 miles in 16 minutes, which is much faster that I was running even 6 months ago. I followed that up with a 500 meter sprint on the rowing machine and then some weight lifting and ab work. I have always felt really great when I'm active and fit, and let me tell you, being able to work out like that at 7 weeks pregnant makes me feel awesome!

I wanted to say a little more about the difference in supplements this time around in case there are any readers out there who are in a post-preeclampsia pregnancy or considering one. I am obviously not a medical professional, so please keep that in mind when reading this information that I went ahead and borrowed from the blog of my virtual friend who recently had a preeclampsia-free second pregnancy.
  • Low-dose aspirin: Doesn't work for everyone but has also proven to be harmless to the fetus. Works by thinning the blood to reduce chance of blood clots forming in the placenta. Many of those with pre-e get diagnosed with blood clotting disorders that contribute to the onset. Hence certain women are put on much heavier anti-coagulants like Lovenox and Heparin.
  • Higher doses of folic acid: Some genetic mutations cause women to be unable to metabolize folic acid which causes homocysteine levels to increase which can cause stroke, pre-e and other placental complications.
  • Calcium deficiencies also increase the risk of pre-eclampsia. 
And I LOVE my prenatal! I'm taking New Chapter bought for a great deal at my new favorite website www.vitacost.com

We meet the first of our possible OBs on Thursday and are looking forward to it!

2 comments:

  1. Amy - what doses of folic acid, vit D, and calcium are you taking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Folic Acid - Extra 1600 mcg per day in addition to prenatal
    Vitamin D - 2,400 IU in addition to prenatal
    Calcium - 500 mg

    ReplyDelete